Search Historical Hamilton:
St Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church
Doors Open Hamilton 2009,
Doors Open Hamilton 2010,
Doors Open Hamilton 2011,
Doors Open Hamilton 2013,
The East End
Architect: Radovan Radovic
Address: 1415 Barton Street East
Date Built: 1974
St. Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church was built in the East End of Hamilton in 1974. It sits at the northwest corner of Barton Street East and Division Street. It was built in a Serbo-Byzantine Style, specifically that of the Morava School of architecture.
The Serbian Orthodox parish of St. Nicholas was founded in late 1913. From 1914 to 1917 the parish worshiped in a chapel in the main floor of a house on Sherman Avenue North. In 1917 building began on a permanent church on the northeast corner of Beach Road and Northcote Avenue. In 1927 a Serbian Hall was built beside the church. The Serbian community in Hamilton experienced a great deal of growth after World War 2, and in 1952, despite recent renovations to the old church building, it was decided that a new Community Centre and Church would be needed. Lots were purchased at the corner of Barton and Division Streets and plans for new buildings were created. The Serbian Canadian Community Centre was built in 1957.
In August 1974, construction on the present church building began, based on the designs created by Radovan Radović. Construction was undertaken by the Fairwin Construction firm from Toronto. Construction was completed in September 1975. The mosaic above the Barton Street entrance was created by artist Sava Rakočević from Chicago, IL.
The Ikonostas was designed by Toronto artist Igor Suhachev, and carved from walnut in Hania, Crete by Argyrios Kavroulakis & Co. All forty icons on the Ikonostas were also painted by Igor Suhachev.
In the years 2000 - 2001? Fr. Theodore Jurewicz from Erie, PA painted the interior frescoes.